The Space Coast Science Education Alliance (SCSEA) is an affiliation of organizations and individuals devoted to education, science and the environment. The alliance is a 501(c)3 that promotes STEM literacy through joint activities and support of member projects. Members include teachers and educators from all organizations across the county in public and private sectors along with retired teachers and community members.
Science is always happening in Brevard; visit our events calendar to see how you can participate.
SCSEA Speaker Series
The SCSEA Speaker Series provides students and the general public with information on timely science-related topics by engaged scientists. The Speaker Series presentations take place twice a year in the early evenings, at various hosting sites around the county. Please see the flyers below for more details.
New schedule will be out soon
Florida Regional Science Bowl for Middle School
The 2018 SCSEA Science Bowl for Middle School Students (grades 6 – 8) is a fast-paced question and answer format competition, similar to Jeopardy, during which students answer questions about earth science, physical science, life science, math, energy, and general science. Our Science Bowl for Middle School Students page lists the competition rules and the steps required to register a team.
2018 Florida Regional Science Bowl will be held on March 10, 2018 at the Florida Solar Energy Center, 1679 Clearlake Rd Cocoa, FL 32922.
Registration opens at 12 noon on Monday October 2, 2017.
- SCSEA Florida Regional Middle School Science Bowl, REGISTRATION
- SCSEA Florida Regional Middle School Science Bowl, INFORMATION
- SCSEA Florida Regional Middle School Science Bowl, RULES
Exemplary Science Teacher Awards
The Exemplary Science Teacher Awards program was started in 1999 by the SCSEA and the Brevard Science Advisory Council to recognize outstanding science teachers in Brevard County. Annually, SCSEA holds a recognition ceremony to honor eight science teachers from Brevard County who demonstrate best practices in the area of science instruction. It is our way of saying thank you for a job well done. As a community, we send a strong message when we identify and reward those great teachers that educate our children.
- Teacher Nomination Form (Adobe Acrobat PDF, 94kb)
- List of previous winners (Adobe Acrobat PDF, 35kb)
Join us at Research Rules! to find out what it takes to do a successful and award winning Science Fair Project. Meet with scientists in your subject areas, as well as experts in creating a great experiment and backboard to help you put together an awesome project. This day of fun and information is open to Brevard County students in grades 5 – 8… and it’s free!
Research Rules! will be held September 23, 2017, 9:00 – 12:00 (noon), at BPS Educational Services Facililty, 2700 Judge Fran Jamieson Way, Viera, FL 32940.
Event information: Research Rules includes 3 sessions that students choose according to their interests and needs, as well as time to interact and ask questions of scientists and researchers in various fields. The doors open for check-in at 8:15. Students should arrive in time to check-in, decide on the sessions they want to attend and be seated for the opening by 9:00. Because space is limited, only students planning on participating in science fair during the current school year should attend. Additionally, if parents choose to attend with their student(s), only one parent per family is recommended.
If you’re interested in volunteering during the 2017 Research Rules!, please contact Jennifer Thompson at Jennifer.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Aspiring Scientist Award
Each year, the SCSEA presents the Aspiring Scientist Award to two elementary students whose science fair projects, although not first place winners, showed unusual creativity and scientific thinking. These students are recognized to inspire their continued interest in science.
Space Coast Science Education Alliance Members
- American Millennium Foundation / International Science Center
- Brevard County Environmentally Endangered Lands (EELS) Program
- Brevard County Natural Resource Management
- Brevard County Parks and Recreation
- Brevard County Public Schools
- Brevard County Solid Waste Department
- Brevard Museum of History and Natural Science
- Brevard Nature Alliance
- Brevard Zoo
- Canaveral Council of Technical Societies
- City of Melbourne, Public Works and Utilities Department
- Diane McAlister, Educational Consultant
- Eastern Florida State College Planetarium & Observatory
- Florida Solar Energy Center
- Foster Thayer, Brevard Public Schools (retired)
- Guytri Still, Brevard Public Schools (retired)
- Hundred Acre Hollows, Inc
- Keep Brevard Beautiful
- Marine Resources Council
- Mary Romjue, PhD, University of Central Florida (retired)
- Raul Montes, Brevard Public Schools (retired)
- Rolling Readers
- Space Coast STEM Council
- University of Florida IFAS Extension
- Women in Defense, Central Florida Chapter
Questions? Please Contact SCSEA at email@example.com